Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Days 83-90, August 11-18, Alaska

I tried not to set my expectations too high.  But I now know it's hard to set your expectations too high when you travel to and fish in Alaska.  However high they are, it's likely Alaska will exceed them.  The scale of the wilderness, the quantity and size of the sport fish, the unfettered grandeur.  No wonder Sarah Palin raves about it.

I'm not going to say much in this post.  I'd rather just let a sample of pictures and video speak for the experience Trish and I had in this crazy place.  Many thanks to Adam, Jason, Jake and Mary and all the great staff at Wilderness Place Lodge for an unsurpassed vacation.  I'm glad those three grizzlies that brushed up against our cabin one night didn't decide to come inside - that might have been a  bit too interesting.

Here's a video that encapsulates our fishing experience.  It would take a much longer one to really do the job:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2yJCX1Byew

Here are a few pics:


















Well, that's a taste.  Tomorrow we're taking a sight-seeing drive to Seward before we fly out of Anchorage late in the evening.  We're both taking redeye flights - Trish to Philly and me to Missoula where I'll continue my tour.  It will be hard to top Alaska in the next month, but I'll give it my best shot.

1 comment: