Saturday, February 12, 2011

Fly-fishing Travel is What This Blog is About

I've been fly-fishing actively for about two decades, and intermittently since I was a boy.  It's my passion - one that fits nicely with my propensity to travel and my love of nature.  I decided to start this blog as a way to chronicle my fishing adventures and stay in touch with friends, acquaintances and fellow fly-fisherpersons who are interested in what I'm doing.

After a thirty-year career in a "Big 4" accounting firm and a lot of hard work in major urban environments such as New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and San Francisco, I've retired and am free to pursue, with few restraints and the support of my wonderful wife, a lifestyle comprising dozens if not hundreds of fishing days each year, punctuated with time spent writing about my experiences.  Before I was a CPA, I was a writer, having earned both a B.A. and an M.A. in English with a creating writing emphasis.  Now it's back to the future for me - fishing and writing will finally be in the forefront.  I have no regrets and a lot left to look forward to.

In May of this year I'll depart on a 4-month journey to the corners of the continental United States - the Florida Keys, Southern California, Alaska and Maine - with many stops along the way to catch as many species of fish on flies as I possibly can.  My life has always been building up to this - a great spiritual journey across the land I love.  When people ask me where I'm from, I often answer "America."  Of course they are asking me what state or city I'm from, not what country, and I'm not trying to be cute with a vague answer.  The problem is that I don't know how to answer specifically because I've lived in so many places.  Both my father and I moved frequently in the interests of our careers, so I have lived for periods of one to seventeen years in Mississippi, Maryland, Ohio, Idaho, Oregon, Iowa (I covered the oft-confused I-O states thoroughly!), New York, California and Pennsylvania, and I've spent considerable numbers of months in vacation homes, schools and jobs in Nevada, Texas, Missouri, Virginia and Wyoming.  I've been in every state except Alaska at some point, and I'll correct that single omission this year.  I am indeed an American, and a citizen of the world.

Between now and May, I'll be fishing as much as I reasonably can, so I expect to make some occasional blog posts here before the major action begins.  If you're interested, stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Don,
    This is exciting. Our trip is still on for FL next week and hope to catch some tarpon and tuna. I'll let you know how we make out. Maybe if we are lucky we will catch a Goliath grouper.

    I can't wait to hear more. Good Luck. We will need to plan a trip on our boat when you get back from your fishing Odyssey.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete